General FAQ list

Frequently asked questions
sarah (electrongoo)

General FAQ list

Post by sarah (electrongoo) » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Q: What are the system requirements for Integrity Checker?

• Microsoft Windows Home Server (original) with Power Pack two or later or ...
• Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 or ...
• Microsoft Small Business Server 2011 Essentials or ...
• Microsoft Server 2012 Essentials

Q: If I purchase a license for Integrity Checker now then will I have to pay for new product updates?

No. All updates to Integrity Checker are free for license holders. You can check for new updates from the Integrity Checker add-in by selecting More | Check for Updates

Q: Will Integrity Checker "bog down" my server while it runs?

No. Integrity Checker is very fast and efficient. It runs in the background on your server and is careful to yield to other services and applications. Typically, Integrity Checker will not use more than 5% of your servers CPU usage during its most active times

Q: How quickly does Integrity Checker create integrity stamps on my files?

Integrity Checker uses state of the art very efficient SHA-1 hashing methods to generate integrity stamps. Exact times will vary based on your Server system usage but you can expect typical performance of less than 1 second for a file of size 250KB; and up to 60 seconds for a large 4.5GB file

Q: I'm trying to purchase Integrity Checker from your eStore and noticed there is an extra $4.99 (USD) charge for "eDS?" What is this and is it mandatory?

The "eDS" service is an extended download service brought to you by Digital River, our eStore provider. With eDS, you will be able to re-download exact copies of the software you purchased, for a period of 1 (one) year after the date of purchase. This is not a required purchase and you are free to remove it from your cart before purchase. Doing so will not affect any features of the software.

Q: How do I upgrade from the trial version to the full version?

Upgrading is a simple process. All of your existing Integrity Checker settings and integrity stamps will remain available. Select the Purchase A Software License Now link directly from the add-in or select Buy Now from the web-site. After your purchase is complete, click the Activate Your Software License link and enter your email address and order ID exactly as they appear in your order confirmation email.

Q: Where is the SHA1 hash stored? Is it in an alternate data stream, thereby adding at least one cluster to the cost of storing a file? Or is it in an alternate table / data structure?

Integrity Checker stores the SHA1 hash in the alternate data stream of the file. But, since the size of the SHA1 is small (about 200 bytes), it is typically stored in the file systems MFT (Master File Table) and does not consume its own data cluster. Note, it is "typically" stored in the MFT. If there are numerous alternate data streams attached to a file then they could be pushed out of the MFT and made non-resident; in which case the data stream will consume a cluster. But his is NOT typical and generally does NOT consume an entire extra cluster.

Q: What are the restrictions of the free trial?

The free trial of Integrity Checker is full featured. The only restriction on the trial is a 2000 file limit. After you've placed integrity stamps on 2000 files and the trial expires you will no longer be able to select or de-select Shares for Integrity Checker to automatically watch. Here are things that you continue to have access to even after the trial version expires:

• View the results of all Integrity Scans
• Run new Integrity Scans on files which already contain an integrity stamp
• Run the Integrity PC Client and verify integrity stamps
• Purchase a license to the software to unlock the 2000 file limit

Q: What is your refund policy?

A full featured trial version of Integrity Checker is available free of charge for your evaluation prior to purchasing the software. If you have any issues with the software please contact us at the email address below and we'll work with you to make it right

Q: I have additional questions. How can I contact you?

We're available via email at support @ integrity-checker.com