My Take on Integrity Checker

Got questions or helpful tips/tricks? Ask here!

My Take on Integrity Checker

Postby dbailey75 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:21 pm

Ok, I've been looking for a product like this for some time, and I found it by accident after reviewing an article on you personal backup host released over the summer. Here's an old post that I made at wegotserved.com, http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/ ... on-server/. I'm still testing this product, but here are some items that would make this product fit my requirements 100%.

1) Need to be able to schedule the integrity scan to run on a reoccurring basis, monthly, weekly, etc and provide some sort of automatic user defined notifications with the results of the scan, such as if there were any warnings or failures. This could be done via an email, or even a dash board notification, what ever is easy, but the integrity checker needs to run on cruise control, other wise I could run something like at exactfile.com.
2)Adding the ability to export a complete file list instead of having to hit the various links for Total, Pass, warning, Fail and copy to clip board. Also, when changing systems, this will allow you to export a file or folder from system A and import on system B, ie. upgrading from WHS 2011 to Windows Server 2012 Essentials so you can validate all your data was migrated correctly with our errors. It would be nice if the export also included the hash.
3)Run an integrity scan immediately, hence this has extended my testing.

Also, how long or how many scans are maintained in the history? For day to day usage, I would think rolling 12 months worth of data is sufficient before you would want to delete the history, but going back to number 2 above, it would be great to have the ability to import scan results from any point in time, even it you had previously deleted it.

I'll follow up if I can come up with anything else, but number 1 and 2 are very important in my book.

Here is an off topic suggestion, you really need to combine all your websites under one domain, if your here http://www.integrity-checker.com/index.html, you have no idea about this, http://www.electrongoo.com/products.html, I only found the primary site after a Google search for Personal Online Backup Host, but that link took me to Microsoft Pinpoint first, there is a link from http://www.electrongoo.com/products/obh/index.html to get back to the primary site with all your products, but its not set up well.

I think Integrity checker is an invaluable tool for some one like me running my own server with limited to average technical skills, provides that additional reassurance that your data is safe, and those wedding pictures that you haven't looked at in 10 years are still there and safe.
dbailey75

Re: My Take on Integrity Checker

Postby sarah (electrongoo) » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi dbaily75. Thanks for the email. Sorry for the delay; I wasn't able to discuss your product requests with our project manager until a meeting today.

Both of your product requests, a scheduler and full filename/hash/status reporting, are good ones. Our project manager is interested in adding these features to our next refresh of Integrity Checker. Our engineers are currently wrapping-up work on the next release of Online Backup Host. After-which they should be available for new work on Integrity Checker (currently, that looks like a few months from now with a release late this year).

Thank you for the valuable input. Our team really appreciates it! If you have more requests please let us know.

Thanks,
Sarah
sarah (electrongoo)

Re: My Take on Integrity Checker

Postby dbailey75 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Just checking in, seems there was another request by ikon for the scheduling and I see that you released and renamed your online backup addin, so I'm hoping you guys are looking back into Integrity checker requests. oh, and thanks for adding the free version of POSH. as soon as I find some time, I'll give his a go.
dbailey75

Return to Integrity Checker Questions